Sunday, February 27, 2011

oscars and the grouch.


That's right, folks. It's Academy Awards night.
Mega millionaires giving awards to each other. Thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on clothing to only be worn for about 4-6 hours. The laughable concept that a group of people are actually attempting to tell us they can pick which movie is best when those films are completely incomparable (see The King's Speech, Inception, and Toy Story 3).
Yep, I love it. I have no reason to. It's terrible television, but I love me some Oscars. I really do love movies, I guess more generally, stories. This is why I am so interested in acting, in case you ever wondered.
The power a story can possess is extremely fascinating to me. A good story can break down barriers, it can change perspectives, it can stir emotions you never knew you had in you, or it can give you something as simple as a much needed laugh.
Unfortunately, I feel film has lost a lot of this over the past decade or two. We see so many remakes, sequels, prequels, "based on a true stories" that it's all just become tired. Originality just seems harder to come by now.
The purpose of all that is to offer my, duh duh DAHHHH, Oscar picks! Hooray!!! I'll name what I want to win (the films and performances that fit what I listed above) and what will win (the same type of movie that always wins) and we'll see how I do.
There are very rarely surprises at the Oscars. It's incredibly easy to pick each year because the same type of films and performances always win, and I'll prove it to you.
And, yes, I'm realizing now how much I'm setting myself up to look like a total idiot. Wow, this could really backfire.


BEST PICTURE - 10 nominees! Wowee!! They upped it from 5 last year in an effort to draw in more attention. Doesn't water it down at all, right?
My pick - Inception - Brilliant concept, completely original. Didn't think I would ever get as invested in Leo's character as I did. I cried at a science fiction movie. That's saying a lot.
The Academy's pick - The King's Speech - Lots of Brits in the cast. Based on a true story. Lots of yelling and people being British. Your winner.

BEST ACTOR
My pick - James Franco, 127 Hours - Yes, based on real events about the dude that cut his hand off when hiking. Emotional and gut-wrenching even though you already know it's coming.
The Academy's pick - Colin Firth, The King's Speech - Well respected actor who has been terrific in numerous films. He wins "full body of work" style rather than for this film only (see Jeff Bridges last year).

BEST ACTRESS
My pick - Natalie Portman, Black Swan
The Academy's pick - Natalie Portman, Black Swan - Weird movie, weirder role. LOCK.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
My pick - Christian Bale, The Fighter - I picked it because of the total transformation he goes through for this. Love him or hate him, he's good.
The Academy's pick - Christian Bale, The Fighter - Another "full body of work" type win rather than strictly for this film. I could seem him not winning because of who he is (anger management issues). If this does cause him to stumble, congrats Geoffrey Rush.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
My pick - Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit - First film ever and she holds her own with Jeff Bridges. Enough said.
The Academy's pick - Melissa Leo, The Fighter - Toughest call I think. Unfortunately, when you're the favorite, I don't think you need to buy out ad pages in magazines and populate them with pictures of your glamour shots that say "Consider..." Maybe a little showy and could actually lose it for her. Also, two actresses from the same movie (Amy Adams) may cancel each other out. If so, Miss Steinfeld just won an Oscar in her first ever movie.

BEST DIRECTOR
My pick - Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan - The man is super weird and so are his movies. Huge gamble making a psychological thriller about ballet but he pulled it off. Actually, my TRUE pick is Christopher Nolan for Inception. How he doesn't get nominated is totally absurd. Here's hoping it at least bring's home Best Visual Effects.
The Academy's pick - Tom Hooper, The King's Speech - Another close one between him and Fincher for The Social Network but 90% of the time whatever wins Best Picture, the director of that film brings home an award also.


I'm also really hoping Inception gets Best Original Screenplay (I can't think of another story, maybe ever, that is more "original") but it won't. That will also go to the Best Picture (it makes sense), The King's Speech.

So, tune in tonight and see how I did. I'm either going to look really smart (by really smart I mean totally lame because who really cares if you're good at this) or very stupid...and lame. So, lame or lame and stupid. Hmmm, glad I just spent time writing this when those are my two potential outcomes. Cool.

3 comments:

  1. Hey... I'm glad you spent the time, watching it tonight will be way more fun now! Sad reality? I haven't seen any of these movies except Inception & Toy Story 3.

    ReplyDelete